Forums » General Questions » Step Mania v5.0 beta4a keeps crashing on startup

I tried to install Step Mania v5.0 beta 4a on my Mac running Osx Yosemite 10.10. It didn't work... When I try opening it, it has a really fast loading screen that says "Initialising Hardware" and disappears immediately. There are no error messages even. It just disappears and quits. Any help?
Install Beta 4a.
https://github.com/stepmania/stepmania/releases/tag/SM5-beta4a

Edit: Mistook this for one of the posts from people using Beta 4, because there have been so many of them. Whoops.

List of things to check: Do you have any songs installed? (there should be 3 packaged with stepmania at the least, "Goin Under", "Mecha-Tribe Assault", and "Springtime")
~/Library/Preferences/StepMania 5/Logs/log.txt (the link actually explains how to find that folder if you have trouble) the log file, which hopefully contains some info.

Last edited: 18 December 2014 1:48am

< cybik> til Kyzentun fixes bugs for breakfast
--
< maxvg1> shakesoda: then why do i still play lol
<@shakesoda> because you're an ITG player. And thus, a masochist
--
<@shakesoda> Kyzentun: I think you might need to put down the meshes for a bit
Thanks for the reply. I just checked and originally there were no songs installed. I have added the songs' folders in now under the folder StepMania 5 and it still doesn't work. Where do you find the log file?
Update: If I try going to ~/Library/Preferences/StepMania 5/Logs/log.txt , it says that the folder can't be found. ~/Library/Preferences/StepMania 5/Logs/ also can't be found. However, ~/Library/Preferences/StepMania 5/ can be found. All it says there though is a MachineProfile folder, Keymaps.ini, Preferences.ini, Coins.xml. No Logs folder
Well, try looking in ~/Library/Application Support/StepMania 5/
--
--
~/Library/Application Support/StepMania 5/ leads me to the StepMania 5 folder. In it are more folders: Announcers, BackgroundEffects, BackgroundTransitions,
BGAnimations, CDTitles, Characters, Courses, NoteSkins, Packages, RandomMovies, Songs and Themes
Still no Logs. If I run a search on my computer using spotlight, the closest things are logs folders for Wine and Adobe. There is an old_changelog.txt though
Well, I'm lost then. I guess someone that's on OS X will have to step in with the info. (I'm on linux)
--
--
Thanks very much for your help anyway