Forums » General Questions » Hardware for 720p@60fps?

Hi guys.

I've been playing Stepmania since version 5 beta 2 and I'm currently running 5.0.9 and CyberiaStyle LAST APPROACH as my theme on my uncle's laptop with these specs:

Intel Core i5-2450M
4GB DDR3 RAM
Nvidia GeForce GT 630M Graphics
500GB Hard Drive
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit

Now I actually use BGAnimations and movies when I play and the framerate tends to be unstable and drops below 60fps occasionally. Scrolling quickly through the Music Select menu turns the game into a slideshow. I know the minimum requirements to run the game but I'm just wondering because I want to build a dedicab in the future. What kind of hardware does it take to run SM5 in 720p at a steady 60fps with BGAnimations and RandomMovies?

Last edited: 21 December 2016 10:54pm

that HW should run the game perfectly fine at 60fps (it's actually way above the spec you should need for that). Try default theme, otherwise something else on your system is interfering or the drivers need updating.
that HW should run the game perfectly fine at 60fps (it's actually way above the spec you should need for that). Try default theme, otherwise something else on your system is interfering or the drivers need updating.

The default theme works fine.

Another thing I should probably point out is that I've monitored the behavior of the hardware using HWMonitor and here's what I've found:
1. In the CPU reaches it's temperature limit (90°C) pretty quickly since it's a laptop and it lowers it's clock speed to around 1.3Ghz when the standard clock speed is 2.5Ghz.

2. The graphics card isn't being used.

Last edited: 22 December 2016 2:23pm

I've got SM5 running on a Core 2 Duo desktop at 720p 60 FPS.
Core 2 Duo E6850 CPU
8 GB DDR 2 RAM
Windows 7 on SSD
Radeon 5750 GPU.

Absolutely beautiful performance at 720p.
I've got SM5 running on a Core 2 Duo desktop at 720p 60 FPS.
Core 2 Duo E6850 CPU
8 GB DDR 2 RAM
Windows 7 on SSD
Radeon 5750 GPU.

Absolutely beautiful performance at 720p.

Do you use any BGAnimations or RandomMovies running in the background while you play?

Last edited: 28 December 2016 8:46pm

Bump