Forums » General Questions » StepMania 5 not running

1 2 3 4
I didn't replace any DLL files. I have DirectX 9.0, DirectX 11 (included with Windows), and C++ redistributable 2008 x86 and x64. I tried so many times and in the crash, it says that the fault module is ntdll.dll. I didn't replace that dll, what's wrong (I'm trying to run Stepmania 5.0.6)?

Last edited: 13 March 2015 5:07am

if you're still using the same windows instalation where you dumped those random DLL's randomly the damage is still being done, even if you install direct 11, I bet the ntdll.dll which ya downloaded and put in system32 is still creating a conflict, so you need to make sure you clean out all those dll's ya downloaded and added, and even then those dll's could have already fucked up so much shit so ya, end of the story, dont download random dll's
Its not a bug its a FEATURE!
if you're still using the same windows instalation where you dumped those random DLL's randomly the damage is still being done, even if you install direct 11, I bet the ntdll.dll which ya downloaded and put in system32 is still creating a conflict, so you need to make sure you clean out all those dll's ya downloaded and added, and even then those dll's could have already f***ed up so much s*** so ya, end of the story, dont download random dll's
I didn't replace ntdll.dll.
OK, I even tried the release candidate for stepmania 5.0. I still got this error.
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: StepMania-SSE2.exe
Application Version: 5.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 54fe6c01
Fault Module Name: ntdll.dll
Fault Module Version: 6.3.9600.17278
Fault Module Timestamp: 53eeb4a3
Exception Code: c000007b
Exception Offset: 00098f05
OS Version: 6.3.9600.2.0.0.768.101
Locale ID: 4105
Additional Information 1: 1abe
Additional Information 2: 1abee00edb3fc1158f9ad6f44f0f6be8
Additional Information 3: 1abe
Additional Information 4: 1abee00edb3fc1158f9ad6f44f0f6be8

Before you say anything, NO, I DID NOT REPLACE NTDLL.DLL!!!
Oh boy.

First of all, you shouldn't download DLLs off the internet, you're supposed to actually install directx and whatever else the program requires.
Secondly, you should probably try running the PC repair tool from Windows 7.
Wait a minute. Isn't that malware?

Last edited: 3 April 2015 4:20am

It's probably some issue with those DLLs still, again. This error seems to happen because you grabbed DLLs that are the wrong architecture. Delete them. You shouldn't need them.

In any case, the problem is with your computer and none of us have enough information to actually figure out what happened. It is not a bug in StepMania, it happens before SM is actually running.

Last edited: 3 April 2015 10:38am

Well, it's weird considering that it only seems to work in the nightly builds, but I want to get 5.0.7 to work.