Forums » General Questions » StepMania 5 not running

Any suggestions?
Have you tried running the uninstall.exe that comes with StepMania 5? I (don't know for sure, but I) think it removes registry entries associated with SM5.

So, run uninstall.exe. Then delete your entire StepMania 5 folder. I'll repeat: delete it. Do not keep any of it.

Download a nightly build of StepMania 5 from the top of the list here: http://smnightly.katzepower.com/

Nightly builds don't have installers, so you'll just extract everything from the zip into a fresh folder, and put that folder somewhere in your userspace like your Desktop.

Do NOT replace any of the DLLs that the nightly build came with. Try running StepMania. Report back.
It works! Thank you dbk2.

Last edited: 5 December 2014 1:49pm

It works!

I'm not surprised that it works. You finally followed my very first set of instructions from over three weeks ago...

Number 3 most likely caused the problem. It would probably be easiest just to uninstall, delete the SM directory, and reinstall.
I tried updating to Stepmania 5.0.5 (using .exe installer) and now it's not working again.
Where exactly did you put these DLLs? Also, are you installing SM5 on top of the SM folder you were using when you had all these problems?
No, I didn't put any .dll files this time.
Even if I try to reinstall it (yes, I deleted the directory), it still crashes.