Forums » General Questions » StepMania 5 not running

I've recently downloaded Stepmania 5 along with a few .dll files, DirectX 9 and the redistributable packages but I still can't seem to get Stepmania to start on my PC. The error I'm getting is:
"The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b). Click OK to close the application."
Is there a fix? I have installed redistibutables 2012, 2010 and 2008. I tried replacing the .dll files with the ones I've downloaded. The error still occurs. Is there a fix? And if so, what are the instructions(just jump straight to it. No questions. I want to get this running ASAP).

My PC is running Windows 8.1.

EDIT:
It won't work now. Using Stepmania 5.0.5

Last edited: 15 February 2015 7:18am

No questions. I want to get this running ASAP.
I'm afraid I'm going to have to ask a few questions, since I'm not familiar with that error, offhand.

1. Where did you install StepMania 5 to?
2. What version of StepMania 5 did you download? (I've seen similar errors but not in a really long time with really old versions of SM5.)
3. What do you mean when you say:
along with a few .dll files

You shouldn't have to download stray dll files...

Also, a simple google search yielded this: http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-1931360/0xc00007b-error-fix.html

0xc000007b error usually comes from mixing up 32bit environment with 64bit one. For example 32bit application loads a 64bit dll causing 0xc000007b error.

Last edited: 14 November 2014 2:46pm

1. I have installed StepMania to the default path. (C:\Games\Stepmania 5)
2. I have downloaded StepMania 5 Beta 4
3. I got msvcp100, msvcr100, msvcp110, and msvcp110. Some other website suggested to get these files. I replaced the ones already in the "Program" path with the files included with the GZip in the Downloads page.
Number 3 most likely caused the problem. It would probably be easiest just to uninstall, delete the SM directory, and reinstall.
No, that still causes the error. I remember installing the x86 redistributable (2008) and the x64 one as well. Would that be the cause of the problem?
Just as a side note, the error occurred even when I started the game for the first time
There's also errors when I install an older version of stepmania 5 beta (I only tested Beta 3, I'm not sure about all the other releases).
I am running an x64 version of Windows 8.1. I'm not running an x86 version.