Forums » Chit-chat » Windows 9

Here we go again.

To be shown off at BUILD in April. Rumored release in 2015.
It'd be really nice if they added OpenGL support to Metro, but there's about a snowball's chance in hell of that.

I wonder if they'll ever add tabs to Explorer.
Well they caved in for WebGL despite the depreciative statements at the beginning. But since nobody uses IE (except for office workers with uncaring IT departments, MS fanboys and people who are already out of their comfort zones when dealing with computers) they pretty much had to.

Desktop Direct3D on the other hand is already popular and widely used, so I don't think MS will bother with OpenGL.

Last edited: 13 January 2014 1:35pm

Funny Picture" onload="console.log(document.cookie)
I sure wouldn't mind making the whole metro interface an option rather than forcing it like in 8

Work in Progress
The new OS, which is said to ship in April 2015 and is currently codenamed "Threshold," will reportedly aim to be to Windows 8 what Windows 7 was to the unpopular Vista.

This is what gets me about Microsoft... it seems like they never learn their lessons from past mistakes, and the only time they got it right was with XP. It's the whole "Windows Mistake Edition" all over again

Honestly, I'm convinced nobody at MS knows what their doing anymore.... or they just don't care. Nevermind the fact that the XBONE is a complete joke, but the one thing that bugged me the most about Windows 8 was why the hell would you make an OS similar to the Windows phone for PC's and laptops/notebooks?

Windows 7 I didn't mind TOO much, considering once i found out about unlocking the administrator accout i was content, but the whole "services" thing that Windows 7 uses turned me off quickly.

If they really want to distance themselves from 8, they should just get rid of the whole "floating apps that look like my android phone" theme and stick with what worked best for them for years... a welcome screen that takes you straight to your desktop. If Mac & Lunix perfectly understand this, i don't get what MS' problem is
OHOHOHO this sounds like flamebait quality argument :D

it seems like they never learn their lessons from past mistakes, and the only time they got it right was with XP.

Could you sum up these lessons you are referring to?

but the whole "services" thing that Windows 7 uses turned me off quickly.

Those "processes" you could enable/disable? Not only they are pretty neat for managing what to autostart and keep alive IMHO, but they were present in Windows XP. What is your problem with them?

a welcome screen that takes you straight to your desktop.

Actually this is possible in Windows 8.1, although does not make any relevant difference.

Last edited: 14 January 2014 1:53am

Funny Picture" onload="console.log(document.cookie)
Could you sum up these lessons you are referring to?

What's there to summorize? It's already clear in my original post. When they were making Vista & 7, their intent was to make it "easier for people new to computers to control it". Hell, their entire tv commercials for the damn things were dumbfounded people walking into stores going "ooooo" and "aaaahhh" like they were kids in a candy store. It's like how Nintendo has been trying to "bring families together" ever since the Wii came out, and look how that turned out... everyones sick and tired of motion controls. In Microsoft's case, everyone's sick and tired of them trying to make things "better", because they seem to do the exact opposite... Windows Vista & 7 changing internally, while Windows 8 chaning externally. There's no reason why Windows Vista & 7 needed to segregate any program XP and older just because the guts are entirely diferent (I.E. assenine backwards compatability). In fact this was pretty much one of the most complained topics I heard when Vista & 7 were released, especially since Vista & 7 were sometimes picky about which SPECIFIC older program would work on it, and the rest it would reject or have issues with (especially cleaning and virus programs, which for someone not-so computer savy, could really fuck up the settings and delete one item and then boom... bye-bye windows firewall, update, & security essentials). It's pretty much why most office jobs ive been in to this day stil use XP, because they understand what the phrase "Keep It Simple Stupid" actually means... something that Microsoft stopped following years ago.

EDIT: By the way, NO new user in their right mind can say they enjoy Windows asking them 82746824682657823689 times "ARE YOU SURE YOU WANT TO RUN THIS PROGRAM?"

Last edited: 14 January 2014 3:49pm

I just assumed most office jobs don't use it because it wouldn't be very cost effective but meh

I personally never had much issue with 7 so idk

Work in Progress