Forums » News » StepMania 5.0.10 released

A special dual release this time:
1. The mainline stable release of StepMania 5.0.10, with many bug fixes and a few new features. Some of the bug fixes and features relate to compiling for those that compile StepMania from source.

2. An alpha release of StepMania 5.1.0, which has the beginnings of structural changes to StepMania. This is for noteskin and theme authors who want to create or port noteskins or try out the new modifier system.

Make sure you put the right treat in your bag, and have a happy Halloween from the StepMania team!

KNOWN ISSUE: When upgrading from an older version of the game, uninstall manually. If it's too late and the game crashes at startup, uninstall and delete the _fallback folder, then reinstall.
This is being looked into

Last edited: 31 October 2015 7:05am

< cybik> til Kyzentun fixes bugs for breakfast
--
< maxvg1> shakesoda: then why do i still play lol
<@shakesoda> because you're an ITG player. And thus, a masochist
--
<@shakesoda> Kyzentun: I think you might need to put down the meshes for a bit
heppe hellowen..
Why am I not running fast?
I have fast feet.
Is it because i broke them?
I have all these bandages.
Wow, I will test the new version to work on new themes.
it would be nice if you made stepmania compatible with divinentity noteskin so we can play the divinelegy gimmick competition simfiles.

Last edited: 24 November 2015 9:32pm

i am full keyboard stepmania player. please don't judge me

i am also from czech republic so please forgive me my bad english
it would be nice if you made stepmania compatible with divinentity noteskin so we can play the divinelegy gimmick competition simfiles.

An event that was geared towards 3.95 more than SM5.

You would need a lot more done to make them work on SM5 than just change the noteskin.

Work in Progress

An event that was geared towards 3.95 more than SM5.

You would need a lot more done to make them work on SM5 than just change the noteskin.

i was reading something about the divinentity skin on github and it said something about the coding of this noteskin so thought the simfiles would work better on stepmania 5 running on quirks mode. i'm sorry if i sounded like being dumb but i'm just a casual stretch stepmania player who doesnt understand the game well. also is there some noteskin simillar to the retrobar noteskin for stepmania 3,95?
and last question: is there any chance of stepmania 6? or is it going to be like my girlfriend? no trace of it
i am full keyboard stepmania player. please don't judge me

i am also from czech republic so please forgive me my bad english

and last question: is there any chance of stepmania 6? or is it going to be like my girlfriend? no trace of it

Yes, but it's coming late 2016 because it's pretty much a rewrite.

Last edited: 29 November 2015 1:24pm

Stepmania 5's systems are different enough that some parts of the divinentity noteskin are obsolete and some are impossible without rewriting the underlying system. It would be better for people to rewrite the simfiles from the competition to use new features rather than try to create compatibility with old bugs.

The input message commands provided by the divinentity skin are completely obsolete because SM5 has a far better input system available. Same goes for the judgment commands.
Changing graphics on specific quantizations (like making 4ths into apples) is impossible, or extremely difficult (if a noteskin author uses an ActorFrameTexture to draw the texture used for the note sprite, and some trickery)
Applying actor commands to specific quantizations is impossible, since all quantizations use the same actor.

If people really want to be able to package a noteskin into a simfile (which I'm guessing is the purpose of being able to change graphics), I'd rather write a system specifically for that than support a noteskin that is modifiable by simfiles. Or build modification into the noteskin system.

In general, SM5 and onwards are about creating systems that are an intrinsically solid basis to build on, not about brokewards compatibility that forces people to use awkward workarounds that get in the way half the time.
< cybik> til Kyzentun fixes bugs for breakfast
--
< maxvg1> shakesoda: then why do i still play lol
<@shakesoda> because you're an ITG player. And thus, a masochist
--
<@shakesoda> Kyzentun: I think you might need to put down the meshes for a bit