Forums » General Questions » Workout mode?

Has anyone ever modded SM5 for a workout mode like on the consoles?
I only know of SM4 having a functional workout mode, much more conservative than the home versions of DDR and ITG.
I'm curious to know exactly what workout mode had that makes people want it.
< cybik> til Kyzentun fixes bugs for breakfast
--
< maxvg1> shakesoda: then why do i still play lol
<@shakesoda> because you're an ITG player. And thus, a masochist
--
<@shakesoda> Kyzentun: I think you might need to put down the meshes for a bit

Calorie counter overall, weight input, then in Workout Mode it's like courses, you could set the game to play songs based on difficulty level and it would be like endless mode until your goal is met. Goals are time played or calories burned. Or you could choose your own songs and it will track % towards the goal after each song.

Just a way to help motivate you to keep playing by setting and reaching goals.

Calorie counter overall, weight input, then in Workout Mode it's like courses, you could set the game to play songs based on difficulty level and it would be like endless mode until your goal is met. Goals are time played or calories burned. Or you could choose your own songs and it will track % towards the goal after each song.

Just a way to help motivate you to keep playing by setting and reaching goals.

This.

The calorie counting is particularly nice, as I play for cardio in conjunction with a regular weightlifting routine. Recently I'm playing for an hour+ every other night or so. 20-30 songs, it'd be nice to have even loose calorie tracking, even knowing it might not be totally accurate. Just an estimate would be nice.
You can use this version of StepMania for now, there doesn't seem to be many padders using SM5 so unlikely fitness mode will be reintroduced.

If you simply create a profile and then go to fitness mode to enter your weight, you don't even have to be in fitness mode to track calories just check your profile in options and it will have an overall calories burned regardless of what mode you are playing in, so you could have an annual goal and track progress through that in addition to tracking daily goals in normal fitness mode. It's quite possibly the best fitness mode for any dance game I've ever seen and the numbers aren't so heavily exaggerated as other dance games.

Download link: https://app.box.com/s/g8c7emir84ibg9limf53

TO INSTALL: Run the .exe file then DELETE the folders THEME, NOTESKIN and replace with the THEME and NOTESKIN files in the .zip. Then after running the program once, go to My Documents - StepMania CVS - Save and replace Preferences.ini, and finally in Data replace Static.ini and place the splash ITG2.png.
If you simply create a profile and then go to fitness mode to enter your weight, you don't even have to be in fitness mode to track calories just check your profile in options and it will have an overall calories burned regardless of what mode you are playing in, so you could have an annual goal and track progress through that in addition to tracking daily goals in normal fitness mode. It's quite possibly the best fitness mode for any dance game I've ever seen and the numbers aren't so heavily exaggerated as other dance games.
The only thing missing from SM5 is a number on the screen. If you're fine with just looking at your Stats.xml after sessions, then set your weight in Editable.ini and find the "TotalCaloriesBurned" field.

Too bad my theme is too much on the bleeding edge tip of the github repository to be released.

Last edited: 6 May 2014 6:33pm

< cybik> til Kyzentun fixes bugs for breakfast
--
< maxvg1> shakesoda: then why do i still play lol
<@shakesoda> because you're an ITG player. And thus, a masochist
--
<@shakesoda> Kyzentun: I think you might need to put down the meshes for a bit
The only thing missing from SM5 is a number on the screen. If you're fine with just looking at your Stats.xml after sessions, then set your weight in Editable.ini and find the "TotalCaloriesBurned" field.

Too bad my theme is too much on the bleeding edge tip of the github repository to be released.

That is so cool.

But fitness mode is a feature of the game more than just showing game stats.