Forums » General Questions » Installing Stepmania 5.0.6 on Linux Mint (Solved)

I've been trying to install Stepmania 5.0.6 on my Linux machine, however all of the guides I've found go through the repository which seem to not exist anymore. The guides were all from ~2013 and I couldn't find more recent guides.

I have the source code, however I'm an incompetent Linux user (I primarily use Windows) so I don't know how to compile that code. I've tried reading compilation guides, but they don't help very much since I'm not familiar with Linux terminology. A link or post of/to an updated, working guide or a would be great.

I can run the Windows version of the game through Wine, but I'm having serious performance issues, even with the Ultralight theme, so I'm hoping the Linux version would run better on a Linux machine than the Windows version does.

edit: Linux Version
Distributor ID: LinuxMint
Description: Linux Mint 17.1 Rebecca
Release: 17.1
Codename: rebecca

Last edited: 13 June 2015 1:45pm

I actually wrote a recent guide for building Stepmania from source on Linux over in the releases forum.
It assumes that you know how to use the package manager to search for a package and install it, and that you can type commands into a terminal to change to a different directory.
If you need a basic commandline tutorial, I can write one up that covers changing directories and knowing what directory you're in and stuff.

According to RayZa, the Linux binary attached to the 5.0.8 (in the tar.gz file at the bottom of the release notes) works on Ubuntu 15.04, so it probably works on Linux Mint, if you have an amd64 processor.
< cybik> til Kyzentun fixes bugs for breakfast
--
< maxvg1> shakesoda: then why do i still play lol
<@shakesoda> because you're an ITG player. And thus, a masochist
--
<@shakesoda> Kyzentun: I think you might need to put down the meshes for a bit
I actually wrote a recent guide for building Stepmania from source on Linux over in the releases forum.
It assumes that you know how to use the package manager to search for a package and install it, and that you can type commands into a terminal to change to a different directory.
If you need a basic commandline tutorial, I can write one up that covers changing directories and knowing what directory you're in and stuff.

According to RayZa, the Linux binary attached to the 5.0.8 (in the tar.gz file at the bottom of the release notes) works on Ubuntu 15.04, so it probably works on Linux Mint, if you have an amd64 processor.

I'm having some trouble on part 4 of the guide. I'm either missing things, or inputting the wrong commands. Could I get some clarification?

edit: did cd ~/stepmania/Build instead of cd Build and it seems to work.
I'm getting a lot of artifacting when it does its thing. Is this a serious concern? there don't seem to be any persistant effects.

also, I have an Intel Core Duo, so no on the amd64

UPDATE: Everything buffed out, finished, and the game launches. However, still no sound. I installed everything except for "OSS (kernel headers actually)" since I didn't know what you meant by that. The rest I managed to get through apt-get since not all were in the software manager. The problem seems to be identical to this http://beta.stepmania.com/forums/general-questions/show/2793

I'm guessing it has something to do with Sound driver: Null

this is what I'm getting:
mitocristae@Chris ~ $ ./stepmania/stepmania
StepMania5.0.8
Compiled 20150613 @ 16:08:51 -0700 (build 0)
Log starting 2015-06-13 17:27:59
Loading window: gtk
Crash backtrace component: x86 custom backtrace
Crash lookup component: backtrace_symbols
Runtime library: glibc 2.19
Threads library: NPTL 2.19
libavcodec: 0x372765 (3614565)
Couldn't load driver OSS: RageSoundDriver_OSS: Couldn't open /dev/dsp: No such file or directory
Sound driver: Null
Lights driver: SystemMessage
Lights driver: Export

(stepmania:4625): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_style_detach: assertion 'style->attach_count > 0' failed
Video renderers: 'opengl'
Display: :0 (screen 0)
X server vendor: The X.Org Foundation [1.15.1.0]
Server GLX vendor: SGI [1.4]
Client GLX vendor: Mesa Project and SGI [1.4]
Paletted textures disabled: GL_EXT_paletted_texture missing.
Direct rendering: yes
OGL Vendor: Intel Open Source Technology Center
OGL Renderer: Mesa DRI Mobile Intel® GM45 Express Chipset
OGL Version: 2.1 Mesa 10.1.3
OGL Max texture size: 8192
OGL Texture units: 8
GLU Version: 1.3
OGL Extensions:
GL_3DFX_texture_compression_FXT1
GL_AMD: seamless_cubemap_per_texture, shader_trinary_minmax
GL_ANGLE: texture_compression_dxt3, texture_compression_dxt5
GL_APPLE: object_purgeable, packed_pixels, vertex_array_object
GL_ARB: ES2_compatibility, clear_buffer_object, color_buffer_float, copy_buffer, debug_output,
depth_buffer_float, depth_clamp, depth_texture, draw_buffers, draw_elements_base_vertex, draw_instanced,
explicit_attrib_location, fragment_coord_conventions, fragment_program, fragment_program_shadow,
fragment_shader, framebuffer_object, framebuffer_sRGB, get_program_binary, half_float_pixel,
half_float_vertex, instanced_arrays, internalformat_query, invalidate_subdata, map_buffer_alignment,
map_buffer_range, multisample, multitexture, occlusion_query, occlusion_query2, pixel_buffer_object,
point_parameters, point_sprite, provoking_vertex, robustness, sampler_objects, seamless_cube_map,
shader_bit_encoding, shader_objects, shader_texture_lod, shading_language_100, shadow, sync,
texture_border_clamp, texture_compression, texture_compression_rgtc, texture_cube_map, texture_env_add,
texture_env_combine, texture_env_crossbar, texture_env_dot3, texture_float, texture_mirror_clamp_to_edge,
texture_mirrored_repeat, texture_non_power_of_two, texture_rectangle, texture_rg, texture_rgb10_a2ui,
texture_storage, texture_swizzle, transpose_matrix, vertex_array_bgra, vertex_array_object,
vertex_attrib_binding, vertex_buffer_object, vertex_program, vertex_shader, vertex_type_2_10_10_10_rev,
window_pos
GL_ATI: blend_equation_separate, draw_buffers, envmap_bumpmap, separate_stencil, texture_env_combine3,
texture_float
GL_EXT: abgr, bgra, blend_color, blend_equation_separate, blend_func_separate, blend_minmax, blend_subtract,
compiled_vertex_array, copy_texture, draw_buffers2, draw_instanced, draw_range_elements, fog_coord,
framebuffer_blit, framebuffer_object, framebuffer_sRGB, gpu_program_parameters, multi_draw_arrays,
packed_depth_stencil, packed_float, packed_pixels, pixel_buffer_object, point_parameters, polygon_offset,
provoking_vertex, rescale_normal, secondary_color, separate_shader_objects, separate_specular_color,
shadow_funcs, stencil_two_side, stencil_wrap, subtexture, texture, texture3D, texture_array,
texture_compression_dxt1, texture_compression_rgtc, texture_cube_map, texture_edge_clamp, texture_env_add,
texture_env_combine, texture_env_dot3, texture_filter_anisotropic, texture_integer, texture_lod_bias,
texture_object, texture_rectangle, texture_sRGB, texture_sRGB_decode, texture_shared_exponent, texture_snorm,
texture_swizzle, vertex_array, vertex_array_bgra
GL_IBM: multimode_draw_arrays, rasterpos_clip, texture_mirrored_repeat
GL_INGR_blend_func_separate
GL_KHR_debug
GL_MESA: pack_invert, texture_signed_rgba, window_pos
GL_NV: blend_square, conditional_render, depth_clamp, light_max_exponent, packed_depth_stencil,
primitive_restart, texgen_reflection, texture_env_combine4, texture_rectangle
GL_OES: EGL_image, read_format
GL_S3_s3tc
GL_SGIS: generate_mipmap, texture_border_clamp, texture_edge_clamp, texture_lod
GL_SUN_multi_draw_arrays
OpenGL Windowed 960x600 32 color 32 texture 60Hz NoVsync NoSmoothLines
LinuxEvent: Couldn't open /dev/input/event0: Permission denied.
LinuxEvent: Couldn't open /dev/input/event1: Permission denied.
LinuxEvent: Couldn't open /dev/input/event2: Permission denied.
LinuxEvent: Couldn't open /dev/input/event3: Permission denied.
LinuxEvent: Couldn't open /dev/input/event4: Permission denied.
LinuxEvent: Couldn't open /dev/input/event5: Permission denied.
LinuxEvent: Couldn't open /dev/input/event6: Permission denied.
LinuxEvent: Couldn't open /dev/input/event7: Permission denied.
LinuxEvent: Couldn't open /dev/input/event8: Permission denied.
LinuxEvent: Couldn't open /dev/input/event9: Permission denied.
LinuxEvent: Couldn't open /dev/input/event10: Permission denied.
LinuxEvent: Couldn't open /dev/input/event11: Permission denied.
LinuxEvent: Couldn't open /dev/input/event15: Permission denied.
LinuxEvent: Couldn't open /dev/input/event14: Permission denied.
LinuxEvent: Couldn't open /dev/input/event13: Permission denied.
LinuxEvent: Couldn't open /dev/input/event12: Permission denied.
LinuxJoystick: Opened /dev/input/js0

Last edited: 13 June 2015 5:29pm

Did you install libasound2-dev or libpulse-dev? The kernel headers comment actually refers to the linux-kernel-headers package, but OSS is disabled in modern kernels in favor of ALSA. So you actually need libasound2-dev to play through alsa. If your system uses the pulseaudio demon, you should also install libpulse-dev so that it can be used for sound.
Stepmania should try them in order and use whatever works.
--
--
Did you install libasound2-dev or libpulse-dev? The kernel headers comment actually refers to the linux-kernel-headers package, but OSS is disabled in modern kernels in favor of ALSA. So you actually need libasound2-dev to play through alsa. If your system uses the pulseaudio demon, you should also install libpulse-dev so that it can be used for sound.
Stepmania should try them in order and use whatever works.

I have both installed, but there still isn't any sound coming through. Other applications play sound just fine.

Could this line help at all?: Couldn't load driver OSS: RageSoundDriver_OSS: Couldn't open /dev/dsp: No such file or directory

Last edited: 13 June 2015 11:33pm

Try closing everything else that could be playing sound. Sound on Linux sometimes has weird device locking problems where one thing will prevent others from playing sound.
--
--
Try closing everything else that could be playing sound. Sound on Linux sometimes has weird device locking problems where one thing will prevent others from playing sound.

I'm not having any luck with that either. I restarted my machine so no program could be running, and ran nothing but Stepmania. Nothing happened. I also tried turing off any sytem sounds and made sure nothing was played
Did you rebuild Stepmania after installing libasound2-dev and libpulse-dev, or did you build Stepmania before installing either of those? If you built Stepmania before installing those libraries, it probably built without support for them, and you need to follow the instructions for clearing the cache and rebuilding.
--
--