Forums » General Questions » SM only in dutch

Hello,
I am really new with all of this, so I hope I didn't overlooked some answers who would have already helped me.

But the problem is, I just downloaded and installed Stepmania. But regardless which language I choose, the language setting is always set to dutch... I can't change it and reinstalling hasn't helped either.

=/ Is there any way to fix this?

Dears Lapa
Try to find your Preferences.ini which is in %APPDATA%/StepMania 5.0/Save/ on windows and ~/.stepmania-5.0/Save/ on linux and ~/Library/Preferences/StepMania 5/Save/ on OS X.
See if you can change the language by setting the Language setting in there.
It's really weird that changing it in Stepmania isn't working, something is probably preventing Stepmania from creating Preferences.ini.
< cybik> til Kyzentun fixes bugs for breakfast
--
< maxvg1> shakesoda: then why do i still play lol
<@shakesoda> because you're an ITG player. And thus, a masochist
--
<@shakesoda> Kyzentun: I think you might need to put down the meshes for a bit
Thank you for your fast answer.

I looked around and found the Language settings somewhere in the programm, but as it was in dutch it took more time than I thought =/.
Then I wanted to change it to "Deutsch/German" but it kept staying dutch. That was why I believed it stayed dutch, instead of changing the language.
After a few reinstallations I realised, that the language setting asked me, if I wanted to install it in "Deutsch/German" but after I installed it, it became dutch.

When I changed the setting to "English" it became English, but the name of the language stayed "Deutsch/German" and when i tried to change it, it became dutch again.

Was that a misspelling error? Or is there something wrong with my language files?

>< Sorry about all the troubles and thanks for all the help
Reinstalling won't help because that doesn't remove the preferences file.
It's probably easier to find Preferences.ini and edit it directly.
Close stepmania if you have it open.
Find Preferences.ini which is in %APPDATA%/StepMania 5.0/Save/ on windows.
Open it with Notepad or something similar.
Find a line that looks like "Language=de" in it. Change that line to "Language=en".
Save Preferences.ini.
Then try starting stepmania again.
--
--
Okay
I did everything and it became dutch again. Maybe my version lacks the german language file?
I changed the language via notepad, after I had it changed to english once. So I changed the "en" to "de" but the programm was dutch again.

I also noted, that some parts of the text where english. The stats in the upper left corner or the "Press [ ] to start."

When I changed the language from "en" to "nl" to get the "real" dutch version, those things were translated to dutch... So I guess there is something wrong with my file @.@
I thought you were trying to set Stepmania to use english, and it kept coming up dutch.
Your actual problem is that you are setting Stepmania to use german, and it's coming up as dutch?
It sounds like the person that made the "german" translation in Themes/_fallback/Languages/de.ini did it wrong. If the stuff in there is in dutch, that's why you see dutch in the game.

Stepmania relies on users to contribute translations. If you can do a better job of translating Stepmania into german, submit it on github.
--
--
it looks like something went wrong with the translation i did a few versions ago...
ill go ahead and redo the translation, itll probably be included in the next release.
Gosh...
I am sorry if I stirred up any trouble. @.@ And that I wrote too confusing....

Your actual problem is that you are setting Stepmania to use german, and it's coming up as dutch?

Yup, that is the exact problem. But I think it is more a dutch / english mashup. Mostly dutch but every once in a while some english pops up.

><
But thanks for the fast answer, I really appreciate that.

;^; And sorry for all the trouble

Edit: What is GitHub? I am reallly new with everything

Edit 2:
I took a look in the file mentioned and I found it. It just seems like a wrong translation @.@

[Common]

WindowTitle=StepMania
StepMania=StepMania

[LoadingWindow]
Couldn't open any loading windows.=Kon geen laad scherm openen.
Starting sound subsystem...=Start geluid subsysteem...
Initializing bookkeeper...=Initialiseren van de boekhouder...
Starting lights subsystem...=Start licht subsysteem...
Loading game type...=Laad spel type...
Building song cache index...=Bouw nummer cache index...
Loading banner cache...=Laad banier cache...
Initializing memory card system...=Initialiseren van het geheugenkaard systeem...
Initializing character system...=Initialiseren van het karakter system...
Initializing profile system...=Initialiseren van het profiel system...
Updating popular song list...=Bijwerken van de populaire nummer lijst...
Updating course rankings...=Bijwerken van de parkoers ranglijst...
Initializing statics manager...=Initialiseren van de statistiek beheerder...
Initializing message system...=Initialiseren van het bericht system...

Last edited: 25 May 2015 11:16am