Forums » StepMania Releases » Installing SM5 on Linux

The Makefile in 5.0beta3 seems to work in parallel for the most part, except for the install target. When run with make -j4, the Makefile attempts to copy files into the $(prefix)/$(productID) directory before that directory has been created. Fixing this would allow builds to run much faster on multi-core machines.
I'm on Ubuntu 14.04 amd64. I got through autogen.sh and configure, but make dies at various points with these errors:

error: ‘SOUND_PCM_WRITE_RATE_is_obsolet_use_SNDCTL_DSP_SPEED_instead’ was not declared in this scope

I've made a note of this one on the bugtracker. Based on the commentary, it should be fixed soon-ish.

(errors in test suite)

There are more compile errors in the test suite, but I gave up chasing them down.

The test suite hasn't been touched for years at this point; I doubt anything in there works properly. It's probably best to ignore it for now.
Hi, i seams to have problems compiling under Ubuntu gnome,
i am stuck at the configure part because i apparently have not lib for opengl *did install the dependency from the wiki linked in the tread*
here is the error:
checking for GL/gl.h... yes

checking for glBegin(GL_POINTS) in GL using GL/gl.h... no
checking for glBegin(GL_POINTS) in opengl32 using GL/gl.h... no
configure: error: "No usable OpenGL library found."

i am using an intel graphic card ( yes i am on a laptop)
what are the other librairie needed ?
thank's
Hi, i seams to have problems compiling under Ubuntu gnome,
i am stuck at the configure part because i apparently have not lib for opengl *did install the dependency from the wiki linked in the tread*
here is the error:
checking for GL/gl.h... yes

checking for glBegin(GL_POINTS) in GL using GL/gl.h... no
checking for glBegin(GL_POINTS) in opengl32 using GL/gl.h... no
configure: error: "No usable OpenGL library found."

i am using an intel graphic card ( yes i am on a laptop)
what are the other librairie needed ?
thank's

At first glance it looks like you don't have the mesa-common-dev packages installed. This was the bare minimum package set I found that would let me compile without issue on ubuntu 14.04.

mesa-common-dev libglu1-mesa-dev libxtst-dev libxrandr-dev libpng12-dev libjpeg8-dev zlib1g-dev libbz2-dev libogg-dev libvorbis-dev libc6-dev yasm libasound-dev libpulse-dev libjack-dev libglew1.6-dev binutils-dev libgtk2.0-dev libmad0-dev automake

your mileage may vary.
OR....OR instead of all this confusing coding stuff, you could just use wine and download/install windows version of SM5
Why am I not running fast?
I have fast feet.
Is it because i broke them?
I have all these bandages.
OR....OR instead of all this confusing coding stuff, you could just use wine and download/install windows version of SM5
No.
Hmm, so previous attempts at getting SM5 on Linux for me resulted in either no video playback, or videos would playback, but SM5 would crash after the song finished.

Is there a solution to this? I've tried a beta3 build (pre-compiled) on Ubuntu, and had no video playback. The maintainer for the beta4 package on AUR I think also mentioned having to disable some video playback component due to the crash after song completion issue.
Video playback should work fine if you build the beta 4 source using the instructions in the first post of this thread. (meaning, don't configure it to use system ffmpeg, use the bundled ffmpeg, which is the default, because that's what we actually support).
For some reason, package maintainers keep wanting to make the packages use the system ffmpeg instead of the bundled ffmpeg, but ffmpeg doesn't maintain compatibility between versions, so this causes crash problems.
< cybik> til Kyzentun fixes bugs for breakfast
--
< maxvg1> shakesoda: then why do i still play lol
<@shakesoda> because you're an ITG player. And thus, a masochist
--
<@shakesoda> Kyzentun: I think you might need to put down the meshes for a bit