Forums » StepMania Development » Going mainstream on linux: separating system data from user data

I was trying to package Stepmania 5.0beta3 for Ubuntu today. I got as far as wrangling the build system into working with debhelper, and even managed to create a .deb with all the required files inside, but a fundamental problem remains: Stepmania seems to want program files, static data, songs, indexes, configuration, high scores, and everything else all in the same directory tree, and assume that the user has write access to all of it. This conflicts with the FHS, and makes packaging for a unix-like system pretty much pointless, since installing such a package would leave no way for a user to add songs, record scores, tweak configuration, etc. In order for this game to see a large audience in the linux world, it really needs to be able to separate system data from user data. Does the development team plan to address this problem any time soon?
If you're going to do that work, do it with the latest source from github. Beta 4 is going to be released soon.
Also consider joining the dev IRC channel: #stepmania-devs on irc.freenode.net
Songs, Themes, NoteSkins, and everything else can actually be placed in ~/.stepmania-5.0/ in the folders of the same name.
Preferences, high scores and all other profile data is already written to that directory.

Last edited: 5 September 2014 3:26pm

< cybik> til Kyzentun fixes bugs for breakfast
--
< maxvg1> shakesoda: then why do i still play lol
<@shakesoda> because you're an ITG player. And thus, a masochist
--
<@shakesoda> Kyzentun: I think you might need to put down the meshes for a bit
If you're going to do that work, do it with the latest source from github. Beta 4 is going to be released soon.

That's good news. Are we talking weeks or months?

Also consider joining the dev IRC channel: #stepmania-dev on irc.freenode.net

Is there a good time to find someone on that channel? It's empty at the moment.

Songs, Themes, NoteSkins, and everything else can actually be placed in ~/.stepmania-5.0/ in the folders of the same name.
Preferences, high scores and all other profile data is already written to that directory.

That's a nice start. Is this documented somewhere?
Following current standards, wouldn't it be better under ~/.local/share/stepmania-5.0 and ~/.config/stepmania-5.0 ?
It's #stepmania-devs.