Forums » StepMania Development » Any thoughts on Making Stepmania for the Next Gen Consoles (PS4, Xbox One)??

I always wondered what It will be like if Stepmania Stepped up to the Next Gen Consoles and tried to help keep the Dance Dance Revolution Franchise growing and to let Konami know that there's still a lot of People and Fans out there that still love that home Console feel of playing in the Arcades.

My thoughts are since it's been out for a pretty long time why not try and Promote this into a Console game and release every Arcade Pad Song out as either in game DLC that came with the game or set it as Purchase DLC, with all the notes, Characters, and Themes including announcers, and Random Movies. I think that will attract a lot of Stepmania fans and non Stepmania fans who don't have a Pc but has a console to your Game if you promote this to the Consoles.
1) Konami would probably sue the crap out of us if we actually did something competitive like that. I don't think we're actually in violation of anything, but we haven't got money for self defense.
2) Devkits are expensive.
3) We've got no money for content licenses.

I'd honestly love to port SM to the PS4, I did enjoy working with the system when I was with Lab Zero for a while. It'd take a lot of resources to make actually happen, though. Resources we are nowhere *near* having.

Last edited: 2 March 2015 6:31am

How about on Android TV?, the nvidia shield tv is capable of playing hardcore games with its Tegra X1 cpu, android is an open platform I think an export of stepmania pc version to Android tv wont be that much of a trouble. The OS is 5.0 lollipop with linux 4+ kernel. Google play already has game emulators in it, stepmania counts like something similar.

Just like in the pc version you guys can make the android tv capable of using the dance pad since the shield has USB ports too. Im really looking foward on playing stepmania on the tv without the need of a laptop or a desktop plugged on a big tv. You guys should think about it. Emulators have paid versions of the app to use like donations. You guys could do that too.

Android tv is a category apart from the Android for tablet and phones. I talked about the android tv because the nvidia shield tv is a game console and not a mobile device. Stepmania on mobile device its not worth it, but on a console with an open source platform its more than confortable. A simple export wont change the features of themes and other expantion packs.

Looking foward for an answer. Thank you for reading.
Gotcha!
Is OP for real here?

As for stepmania on android, have a look at beatX. One step ahead of you really as it runs on droid (really well) and has support for dance pads as well.
Okay so I thought I was being crazy at first, but then I checked and you are the same person who made this thread.

Last edited: 3 July 2015 12:56pm

Work in Progress
How about on Android TV?, the nvidia shield tv is capable of playing hardcore games with its Tegra X1 cpu, android is an open platform I think an export of stepmania pc version to Android tv wont be that much of a trouble. The OS is 5.0 lollipop with linux 4+ kernel. Google play already has game emulators in it, stepmania counts like something similar.

Just like in the pc version you guys can make the android tv capable of using the dance pad since the shield has USB ports too. Im really looking foward on playing stepmania on the tv without the need of a laptop or a desktop plugged on a big tv. You guys should think about it. Emulators have paid versions of the app to use like donations. You guys could do that too.

Android tv is a category apart from the Android for tablet and phones. I talked about the android tv because the nvidia shield tv is a game console and not a mobile device. Stepmania on mobile device its not worth it, but on a console with an open source platform its more than confortable. A simple export wont change the features of themes and other expantion packs.

Looking foward for an answer. Thank you for reading.

This is doable if the Android port gets fixed up, it'd might even run on older hardware like the Ouya perfectly fine, too.
Is OP for real here?

As for stepmania on android, have a look at beatX. One step ahead of you really as it runs on droid (really well) and has support for dance pads as well.

I tried BeatX once, and I didnt like it, it doesnt feel like stepmania or ddr. The UI is the same for touchscreen and android tv, thats why I asked for stepmania just for android tv, that way I know the UI wont change.

This is doable if the Android port gets fixed up, it'd might even run on older hardware like the Ouya perfectly fine, too.

What do you mean by "fixed up"?
The OUYA is nice, saddly the Tegra 3 cpu it has is a few years old. Still I think Im gonna buy it because dubwars isnt on android tv. Just on pc and OUYA. If I buy it ill move my retro gaming there and leave my hard gaming on the shield tv. The tittles that OUYA has in common with Google Playstore I already bought them at Playstore.
Gotcha!