Forums » Meta » StepMania being resold?

I was perusing ebay for in the groove related stuff and stumbled upon:

ebay.com/itm/StepMania-Arcade-Revolution-Dance-Game-PC-MAC-Software-Computer-Program-/150950966787?pt=US_Other_Software&hash=item232560f603

In case the link is scrubbed, the product is "StepMania Arcade Revolution Dance Game PC MAC Software Computer Program" by seller mtsoftwaresolutions_us. I couldn't find private contact info for the admins or shakesoda so i'm posting here, feel free to just delete this msg.
It's legal to sell StepMania, it's in the license.

Straight from the source:
Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, provided that the above copyright notice(s) and this permission notice appear in all copies of the Software and that both the above copyright notice(s) and this permission notice appear in supporting documentation.

It's still pretty lame to sell it as-is, though, the license is that way so it can be used as the basis for other games (i.e. PIU Pro, ITG)
BUT are they permitted to copyright Vanilla StepMania AND the StepMix songs????

Copyright

This item is copyrighted. Any reproduction, duplication or resale of this CD-ROM is prohibited.

The individual software installer and screenshots are released under the GNU GPL. The license is available on the CD-ROM. All other images, items, box image, CD-ROM menus and designs are copyrighted and contain our protected IP.

Copyright © MT Software Solutions

Last edited: 24 July 2014 4:32pm

They can say that, it's just totally meaningless. Everything they didn't make (and maybe some of what they did if it uses SM assets) retains its original copyright.

Last edited: 24 July 2014 6:20pm

It might me smile a little to see this guy still use that amazing box art for this

Work in Progress
BUT are they permitted to copyright Vanilla StepMania AND the StepMix songs????

Copyright

This item is copyrighted. Any reproduction, duplication or resale of this CD-ROM is prohibited.

The individual software installer and screenshots are released under the GNU GPL. The license is available on the CD-ROM. All other images, items, box image, CD-ROM menus and designs are copyrighted and contain our protected IP.

Copyright © MT Software Solutions

A bunch of the StepMix songs are CC-NC, who knows if they were removed.
pass-4sure.me

Last edited: 2 December 2014 12:02am